What should my next project be?

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Project 1: 1998 Honda Civic

Ahhhh the memories...My very first car and of course it was also my first project: A 1998 Honda Civic. I bought the car in 2002. It was bonestock except for a greddy exhaust and suspension. It was originally a gas saving HX trim. That changed pretty quick. A few friends and I sourced an LS-vtec motor. We found out that motor would not work right with my OBD2 setup. Luckily we figured that out before we put it in and before we fully paid for it. We ended up putting in a B20-vtec. At the time these swaps were relatively new and cutting edge. This is where the B20 block from a CRV is used with a higher flowing, higher reving vtec head. This allows for more displacement. The only issue is the relatively thin cylinder walls of the block. Fortunately or unfortunately the block I bought had super high compression pistons in it, which made the car knock with anything less than 104 race gas. This forced me to put lower compression pistons in the car. While I was at it I had Golden Eagle reinforce and sleeve the block for the added safety. The legendary Brian Green from Track Forged tuned my car using the Hondata system. The car made a little over 200 whp/150ft-lbs and could rev to 10,000 rpms. Not bad considering the car originally made under 100 whp/wtq.

Engine/Transmission Performance:
Greddy Exhaust, AEM intake, Skunk2 short shifter, STR cam gears, AEB intake manifold, JDM 4-1 Header, Spec stage 3 clutch and of course the power steering and A/C were removed.

Suspension/Wheels
Tokico Coilovers, Camber Kit, Type R strut braces, H&R sway bars,

Aesthetics
The interior was upgraded to leather and gunmetal. The exterior was a murdered out black theme with lightweight Rota rims. The headlights were upgraded as well as the tail lights to the later model civic (red/white). A Type R grill was installed as well as the very rare factory SIR lip.

I had the car for a little over three years. I sold it to a buddy of mine in 2006. My favorite thing about this car was the high revs and butter smooth, quick, confident shifting. Check out more pics in My Projects Galleries under 1998 Honda Civic.

No comments:

Post a Comment