What should my next project be?

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Project 2: 2002 Audi S4

Me drag racing my 2002 Audi S4.


While I worked on my B20vtec car I saw the civic turbo guys making 600-800 whp and I knew my next setup would be a turbo car. I wanted something a little more luxurious and plush and I wanted it to be a sleeper. Enter the four door, silver 2002 Audi S4. Twin turbo, AWD, 250 hp/tq from the factory. Again, I purchased the car bone stock in 2006. I bought a chip from GIAC chip and it increased my boost from 9 psi to 18 psi and it gave me an additional 100 whp/100wtq. WOW!!! That was not enough though I ended up upgrading the turbos, downpipes, exhaust, manifolds and intercoolers with AWETuning components. With the additional power I need to be able to steer and brake as well so I purchased the Ohlins motorsport coilovers and Alcon brake upgrade kit from Stasis-Engineering. For all the technical help, advice and turbo install I worked with Matrix Integrated. These guys know there stuff and their customer service is absolutely top notch. Highly recommended. Due to boost creep and throttle cut (damn drive by wire!) issues with the GIAC software I switched to JHM Motorsports fueling and software. I also utilized JHMs shortshifter. After coming from the super tight, buttery smooth Honda gearbox the Audi shifting left a lot to be desired. I updated all the transmission components when I bought the car used and the shifting was still sloppy. I went through 2 other short shfiters and finally worked with Jason at JHM to produce the JHM shifter and I am much happier. It is by far the best option for the Audi S4. To add the cherry on top I installed a water methanol system from Coolingmist. This injects a mixture of water and methanol into the intake to reduce air temperature and increase octane. The end result was 440whp/460wtq and below 12 sec quarter miles.

Engine/Transmission Performance:
AWE interoolers, downpipes, Twin2 Exhaust, JHM software/fueling (24 psi)

Transmission
South Bend Stage 3 Clutch, RS4 flywheel, 4:1 Torsen Differential

Suspension/Wheels/Brakes
Ohlins Motorsport Coilovers, Titanium Alloy OZ Superleggeras, Alcon Big Brakes

Aesthetics
Interior wood was replaced with piano black trim, interior lights were replaced with bright white LEDs. Exterior headlights were clear corned, RS4 grill, debaged all emblems

I owned the car for about 3 years and sold the car to a business partner in 2009. My favorite thing about this car was the sleeper status, AWD confidence and plushiness paired with the power. Check out more pics in My Projects Galleries under 2002 Audi S4.

No comments:

Post a Comment